Statistics show that 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted. Sexual assault is a topic we don’t typically shed light on. It can feel very uncomfortable to talk about, but it needs to be a conversation we get a little more comfortable having. In this episode I speak with Dana Caretta-Stein, a Licensed Mental Health Counselor who shares her expertise in treating survivors of sexual assault. Dana provides her insight on how EMDR therapy has helped her clients start their healing journey as well as the common experiences sexual assault survivors go through during their recovery and healing journey.
This episodes dives into:
- Who are people typically assaulted by.
- What should people do in order to help themselves recover from sexual assault and sexual trauma.
- Resistance to report sexual assault to authorities.
- Different therapies that may be harmful for survivors of sexual assault.
- Treating a survivor of sexual assault.
- Survivor resistance in seeking help from trauma.
- What EMDR is.
- What “Dissociation” is.
Click here to listen to Session 8.