In this episode, I chat with Dan Sokal, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker who specializes in treating people who have been impacted by individuals in their life with narcissistic personalities. The topic of today’s episode really piqued my interest and I had to bring in an expert to share his expertise on how having a narcissistic parent affects our relationships and childhood experiences. Dan provides insight on what a narcissist is, his experience working with this population and how you know when a parent may be narcissistic.
This episode dives into:
- What a Narcissist is.
- Differences between Narcissistic Personality Disorder, “sociopath”, or Antisocial Personality Disorder.
- Healing from a relationship when you have a Narcissistic parent and how it looks like.
- Signs that your parent may have Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
- Challenges faced for those who were raised by a Narcissist.
- Setting boundaries with a Narcissistic parent & maintaining a healthy relationship.
- Effects of having a narcissistic parent on future relationships.
- How to support a client who has a desire to heal from wounds that a parent has left of them due to Narcissism.